National AG Day

     Today is AG Day.  I have thought of why I love AG all day long!  The first reason that comes to mind is that Agriculture runs in my veins.  My mom's side of the family is in the nursery business and my dad's side is in the beef industry.  I support Agriculture every day.  I am directly involved in it on my farm and I know the values of the farmers in my hometown and beyond.  They are all good people.   
     Today, I thought I would take this opportunity to tell you some things that farmers do. The number one obvious thing we do is provide food, but we provide many other things too!    We also produce clothing,  textiles, and byproducts. Farmers are the backbone of our economy here's why!
    You know farmers grow your food!  What you might not know is the passion, dedication, and care we put into your food.  Every year my mom plants our simple little garden. She carefully plans the layout, buys the seed, tills the garden, and pulls the weeds.  When the produce is ripe we take it to the farmers market for you the consumer.  We may farm produce on a small scale but our neighbor and many of farmers and ranchers around the country do it on a bigger scale but with the same process and care my mom does.
   The list of things farmers can provide is long but a few of my favorite non food items are cotton, alpaca wool, rabbit fur, and silk, and leather!  When I talk about  byproducts I don't mean the bad parts, I mean the parts that have great vitamins and nutrients that are good for our bodies and lives. Like for example cattle hooves have gelatin which makes our nails grow.  Soap is made from beef fat or tallow, and it makes your skin so soft!
  It's amazing that a plant or animal can keep giving after it is already gone and farmers are here to utilize what God gave us! Franklin D. Roosevelt once said "Prosperous farmers mean more employment, more prosperity for the workers and the business men of every industrial area in the whole country"  HAPPY AG DAY!!!!


 A video my uncle Harold Hartzler was featured in. A farmer and God loving man I looked up to.

Comments

Popular Posts