A Different Perspective

Words.  To use words you must know words.  Words don't come until we are at least one year old. For some people like Temple Grandin they came at three and a half.  Temple thinks differently than us. She thinks in pictures.  Why, because she has autism. Although some told her mother she would be plagued by autism.  Her mother looked on the bright side. She never gave up on Temple. During a summer at her aunt's ranch she developed a great interest in cattle.  With the persuasion and push Temple went on to get her PhD in Animal Science.  She has put her best foot forward in her, so far, 35-year career to make a difference in handling. She teaches many different level classes at Colorado state which I want to attend just to take her course. I know I would love her as a teacher because I heard her talk this past April and realized the intelligence and love she possesses for the cattle. At her talk I bought one of many books she has written.  Living on a working beef farm I am always looking for a more efficient way to handle my cattle and the book,  "HUMANE Livestock Handling" is helping me to do so.  Many others are also buying her books and putting her plans into action which in return is giving us higher quality meat and more of it. The cattle are much happier, because the facilities Temple designs cater to the needs of the cattle and their ways of processing pictures. One thing I love about Temple is she doesn't care what critics think.  She just wants the animals to be healthy, happy, and taste good!  Which I know all is the goal of all farmers and ranchers. It was such an honor to meet Temple Grandin!   My life and the life have cattle have truly been enriched.

Temple Grandin and Madison April 2013 Knoxville Convention Center
 
 

Comments

Popular Posts