Cow Appreciation

Cows. We all know they give us beef,  but what else do ya think they provide us with?  I have been teaching 3rd graders about cows at our local Farm City Day for over five years! When the kids come up I always get their attention by asking them, "Can you lick your elbow?  A cow can!"  Then I go into how cows eat grass and how they give us steaks and hamburgers.  I consider the education of the children that visit my cows on this day really important.  Most of them don't live on farms, some have no idea where food comes from and some have never even seen a live cow. I get excited about cows because they are amazing creatures.  Much of the land within our states cannot be used for crops, but cows convert the nearly eighty-five percent of unusable land into delicious nutritious beef. That is not their only purpose! Yesterday was Cow appreciation day and after I spent most of my day telling my cows personally how great they are I decided to appreciate them today on my blog.  So , I am going to talk about the important of the Momma Cow! Her main purpose while she is out grazing on the family farms pasture is to raise a healthy calf to be sold at the auction market when it is around 6-10 months of age!  When the farmer notices her declining in old age after she has produced many calves for the farm he may send her to be sold and put into our food supply!  Then she may be used to make leather products, jello,  crayons, etc.   Most every part of the cow is used in some manner! Everything except the MOO!  Check out this site for much more!  Cows make my world go round and yours too.



Comments

Popular Posts