SO God Made a Farmer

Another day in paradise

I was recently looking at some awful pictures that were supposedly taken from the livestock industries.  I of course, teared up.  I know that this doesn't happen often.  I know because I am in the business of farming.  I rely on my animals to provide customers with a great product.  All farmers and ranchers know that a happy cow produces a great product.  Animals are easily stressed by many things.  A good farmer knows how to identify those stresses and eliminate them.  When an animal is stressed they are unable to gain weight and get sick more often, so it is not in our interest to have a stressed animal.   In a rare isolated case that someone who shouldn't have animals at all gets a hold of a farm animal and doesn't treat it well everyone suffers.  The media locks onto those isolated incidences and that is all the public sees.   It hurts my heart.   Turning on the nightly news one can get very depressed.  The media covers sensationalism. They cover bad things.  They cover things that help ratings.  They don't come to my farm and film me with my cows.  They don't come to my neighbors farm and watch the milk cows follow him into the barn.  This is one of the reasons I decided to write a blog.  I am a woman of science and math and am certainly not good with words, but I decided that did not matter.  An occasional misspelled word or misplaced comma is no big deal to me.  What is more important to me is that the good side of farming be exposed.  The community that I love deserves to shine.  A farmers work ethic is amazing.  Their love for their animals, family and God is evident.   God made a farmer and they should be appreciated not demonized.   Just as their are rogue bad guys in every industry their are a million more good guys. So please remember that the next time you see a sensationalized story. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts