The Summit

  I just came back from The Summit which is put on by the American Junior Simmental Association.  Monday-- I flew out to Tulsa, Oklahoma all by myself,  with a layover in St. Louis!  This was my first solo flying experience and it was quite enjoyable.  I see more of those in my future.   When i got there Hanah Wine and AJSA summer intern Courtney picked me up at the airport and fed me Brahum's! DELISH! After we picked up the rest of the kids that were arriving from around the country,  we headed back to Stillwater, OK (Okalahome State University) where the event was to be held!  When we were all there we went to a leadership workshop on campus. It was there that I  learned who my roomie was... She was Canadian! I was estatic! 
Tuesday--  We went to the OSU Feedlot and OSU Pure Breed farm! I really admire OSU for keeping a Pure Breed farm, it is something I can relate to coming from a pure breed farm.  After that, we  had industry sessions! They were awesome because they were all about meat, and we can all relate to that!   They gave us a tour of their meat facilites, kill floor, packaging room, and research room.  We then went to Griswold Cattle Company, had dinner, and then went on a tour of Reproduction Enteprises inc.  At the end of the day we played leadership games organized by the AJSA Trustees. We played bonding games like: pop the ballon by smashing against the person infront of you by making a human sandwhich.  We also played pass the marshmallow using only the toothpick in your mouth! Or course,  I got the tallest guy there to pass the marshmallow to!  Needless to say we bonded!
Wednesday-- Was the ropes course!!  It was off campus!  It was hot, humid, and we had to wear climbing harnesses the whole time, but I absolutley loved it! We did high ropes where we were 55ft off the ground and then ziplined off the top.  The whole time we had a partner.  My partner and I didn't know each others name.  We were both jokesters so we decided to call each other "HEY YOU" !  After the ropes course some took showers.  I was too tired so I had a good nap.  That evening we had a  private concert featuring Scott Shelby with dancing, funny pictures, and good food!  We danced the night away, ok maybe not the night but I did walk back in the dark!  It was a lot of fun.
Thursday-- The last day and most dreaded! Planned was a closing session put on by the "O" Club at OSU but I was one of the early flights so I had to leave at 7:45am! 
   I was almost home when i ran into two people from The Summit and they had left at like 2-3! I had been on the "clouds" all day and they still caught up with me!
  I had a wonderful time and this experience taught me so much.  It is amazing how learning happens in a fun interesting environment.  
 I cannot wait until the next summit!
Watch "The Summit 2011" on YouTube





Comments

Popular Posts