Things Happen...

OK. So yesterday I got a call from my Grandad. We each have different "chores". He checks the cattle in the morning and I do it at night! I recieved the call around the time of his check the cattle chore.  The phone call was short and sweet. He said "Flash is in labor, go put a halter on her, I called the vet."  I ran out of the house!  My mom was yelling, "Madison, where are you going so fast?"  "I didn't have time to answer.   I got to the field and addressed the situation.  The calf was breach which means it was backwards and the feet weren't entering the birth canal like they should with a "normal" backwards birth.  I then waited for the vet, a long and painful wait! But, i made it better with Pandora Classical Music for the Soul !  I tried to comfort her with my not so angelic singing voice!  When the vet came over the hill you could tell she knew help was coming.  The vet did his thing.  First, he numbed her tail and rump. Then he pushed the calf back in her and pulled the back legs into the canal and fastened the pullers onto the calf's legs. He then pulled the RED BULL calf out, but it was dead.  The vet said it was probably dead long before because the placenta was already blue!  Let me tell you.. I love learning new things and vets have a lot to teach.  But, needless to say it was not a great day.    He said the placenta probably disattached long ago.  That caused it to turn blue and the calf to, unfortunately, suffocate.  Lame.

Comments

Popular Posts