4-H Banquet

Recently we had our County 4-H Banquet.   It is a time to recognize all the county 4-H'ers for their years accomplishments.   4-H means a lot to me.  Most of the time when kids go into High School they seem to split their time between 4-H and FFA .  Unfortunately and Fortunately I am homeschooled.   This is fortunate because I get to travel around the Country networking with BEEF folks, I get to work on the farm almost full time, I get to spend lots of time with my family, and I have time to extensively study and pursue areas of interest to me.  Unfortunate, because I don't get to enjoy programs like FFA.  Since FFA is federally funded they do not allow homeschoolers or private schoolers to participate.  My mom called their office one day and they explained the whole thing.   She talked to the FFA folks for thirty minutes and gave them statistics on how many homeschoolers there are in the US.  They were sympathetic, but unable to do anything about it.
  Every year, I watch my friends from around the Country don their blue jackets and congregate together to compete and socialize at the National FFA Convention.  It kind of hurts me to watch it, but then I wonder to myself if I am really missing out on as much as it feels like I am.   I usually come back to earth and realize that this world is big and there are plenty of opportunities in and out of organizations like FFA.   I know plenty of extraordinary homeschooler and private schoolers who never got to participate and have been totally successful in life and I know I am one of those kids.  
   I am so thankful that 4-H allows homeschoolers to participate.  I have been involved with 4-H since the 4th grade.  My mom and dad were both 4-H'ers and so are my sisters.   I am currently our Honor club secretary.  I look forward to every service project, meeting and event!   I have life long friends in this program and it has truly taught me life and business skills that I will use forever.
    The long lost point of this rambling story (lol)  is that life is good and it is what we make of it!   It is not healthy to long for something we don't have.  We need to look at what we Do.  When we see the plethra of things that God has given us we will know that we are surely blessed!!!   I know I am!
Me with the rest of the Outstanding Award winners at this years 4-H banquet
I won Outstanding Senior 4-H'er

Comments

Popular Posts