Veteran's Day

  Yesterday was Veteran's Day.  On our way to school my mom brought up a very good point; Why do we close schools to celebrate a single person but not close schools on Veterans day?   I know that post offices and other government offices are closed, but why not schools?  She had a point!  My grandfather's are veterans so this hit close to home.  I won an essay contest  a few years ago about homeless Veterans and their plight and ever since doing the research for that project I have always been curious about the lives of all Veterans.  Today, I was doing a search on Veterans and Farming (since this is a farming blog) and I found a blog post titled "From War Veteran to Farmer".  I really love this post.   I have known all my life that growing up on a farm is the best way to grow up.  I feel the peace and calm when I walk outside each day.  I am in awe of nature so it was really no surprise to find out that many Veterans also find solace in farming and working the earth.  It seems fitting that Brave Men and Women would enjoy farming.   Farming is freedom! Producing food for yourself and others is liberating!   I think I will go farther and say that the peace and solace is not directly related to the act of farming but rather to the enjoyment of being out of doors.   I volunteer at a nursing home and one man who had lost his legs in the war longed to hunt and fish.  He was going out of his mind on a daily basis because he had no access to dirt, to fresh air, to memories of hunting as a child.   Another man, also a veteran, who wore his farm overalls every day (he sleeps in them too!) only wanted to go outside and collect some "cackleberries" (eggs)!   My sisters and I organize projects for the home.  Some of those have included planting them a garden, having a harvest party on the 4th of July, and asking them regularly about their farming, hunting, and fishing memories.  They all have the same thing in common.. They want to be out in nature.  The want to use their idle hands.  I, too find peace in taking care of animals and cultivating the land,  I am glad that many veterans are able to connect to the land and take away some of the pain that comes from fighting in war.  The land is always there for the brave and battered.  It will take the punches and listen to our frustrations.  Happy Veteran's Day! 

Comments

Popular Posts