2014 TN Beef Agribition

This week, my spring break, I am going to do some serious catching up!  My mind is consumed with blog ideas but my schedule is packed.  So get ready to read!!
  Agribition was the second weekend in March.  It was exactly three weeks after the Dixie National.
Pop and I made the three hour drive to Lebanon with four heifers in tote. Our friend Caleb was coming from Clarksville with two other heifers.  We had six heifers between three people.  Friday and Saturday we stayed in the Junior Barn.  The first two days were "hair days" because all we had to do was wash, dry, and work the hair. While the heifers were eating Saturday morning I went to the TN Cattlewomens' meeting where we did housekeeping and elected officers!
The Start of Something Great! The beginning of Tennessee CattleWOMEN!
 When I got back to the barn Caleb's heifers were tied up but neither Caleb nor David were to be found.  I did "hair day" mostly by myself!  I found out later Caleb and David were looking for a new heifer for me, so they are excused. Once the Hereford and Simmental sales were over, we moved into the main barn.  Later,  I attended the Beef Ambassador dinner but I couldn't stay the whole time because and Stock Show U was using Claire for a fitting demo and we had to be back to the barns by five.  Stock Show U is a clinic to help youth learn to fit and prepare their animals for show.


Janna Sullivan Tennessee Beef Industry Council and Charles Hord Tennessee Cattlemens' Association
Taylor Green, Me, and Samantha Reese at the Beef Ambassador dinner

Fitters who helped with Stock Show U

Stock Show U

When we got to the barn Sunday morning.  It was absolutely freezing. I didn't think I could put enough clothing on.

I rinsed all six so David and Caleb dried!
  We were on an outside isle so we got all the wind.  We worked ten times harder to keep the blood flowing to stay warm and to get the work done.  Once the work was done, I was walking to the truck to get more clothing and felt a warm spot...it was the generator exhaust.  I found a chair and sat in front of it in between coffee runs! Probably not the smartest thing, but I was freezing.


I warmed up quickly during the day because I was running between the rings to show! I had a Hereford and an Angus in one ring. In the other ring I had an All Other Breed, two Percentage Simmentals, and s Chi Influence heifer.  This is a lot of animals to juggle with one showman.  My job was to show, Dad's job was to hold heifers in the make-up area and get them to and from the ring, and Caleb and David's job was to fit.  It got real confusing when we had a class winner or a second place!  All of the animals I took with the exception of the hereford got 1st or 2nd. (Seconds go back in if the first from their class wins Grand.)  I had a pretty good day!  Peggy walked off with Reserve Chi Heifer and I got a surprise from the TN State Fair....a belt buckle!  It was Christmas in March!

Doug Satree-  Judge-  He was the Judge at the Tennessee
State fair last year when I won Junior Champion of Champions.  He was
also one of the judges at this years TN Beef Agribition.
 






Oppy- Percentage Simmental-- I love this heifer!

Comments

Popular Posts