Pride Go Before The Fall

 We have always taken pride, as many farmers and ranchers do, that our cows can have and raise a calf unassisted!  Unfortunately, pride go before the fall!  We had the CUTEST calf born a week ago out of an veteran cow.  I don't know if a calf is born knowing how to nurse or a cow just nudges until they do, but this calf wasn't taking the bait!
 I got a phone a couple days ago from Pop telling me to come give it a bottle.  I was hoping that the calf would nurse on it's own, but it didn't and Maggie Mae's bag  (the cow) was getting full and tight from not feeding her new calf.  We intervened and brought the cow (from the other side of the farm) and calf (on the Kubota) to the barn the next day so they could be together and I could work with getting a teat in its mouth! Now, that is manual labor!
Bae rode in the Kubota floor while looking for her momma, Maggie Mae
But, first lemme take a #Felfie
Bae got her first bottle after being slung over my shoulder and taken to the farmhouse porch, it was really very southern!

Looking for Momma, the first time!



I hope everyone has a great week!  I am busy getting ready for a cattle show in a week or so, so I have been staying busy washing my show heifers everyday!  What kind of farm adventures have you been getting into?





Comments

Popular Posts