Sorting, Sweating, and Some Sunbathing

Summer brings  a lot of hard work on the farm.  Everything has to happen when it is supposed to or it messes up the next season.  Throughout the Spring, Summer and Fall we are always getting ready for winter. Some of the things we do to get ready for winter are making hay and canning hundreds or jars of vegetables.  It is a stressful time on the cows because of the flies , constant heat, and new babies.  Everyone is trying to get everything done before the cold sets in again!  We've already sold our fall born calves, rolled 115 rolls and are getting ready to turn the bull back to pasture with the cows!  We have had 3 heifers and 5 bulls born so far and are awaiting more!  I will post on the Madison's Farm Adventures Facebook more during the summer months because I can post from fields but will try to blog our stories from the farm!! I know there are some great ones coming!  It's never a dull moment here, which brings me to another hard thing about summer.  Everything stinks!!!!  Because the temperature is hot and sweat pours all day long, we all go through clothes at a rapid rate.  I hate doing laundry!  We don't have a dryer so we hang all our laundry out on the line.  That is nice most days, but if there are consecutive days of rain it can become a problem.  My dirty clothes pile up quickly.  My sister, Ashton, pointed out that I regularly have a dirt line on my legs where my socks meet my skin.  My feet are trapped in hot shoes all day and sometimes when I can't do my laundry I have to wear the same jeans for a few days.  I stay dirty a lot of the time.  I usually have some combination of dust, sweat and various cow smells on me.  My truck smells like cows too!  Some people think about summer in terms of beach vacations, bathing suit tans, and pina coladas.  I think of summer in terms of sweat, farmers tans, new baby calves, the sound of machinery, and the pop of the lids after canning has finished, and a cold drink from the water hose.  I wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts