It's the PURGE

      I have one class this semester that made me declare a minor but also made me second guess all my career decisions...Food Science Technology 269, meat science evaluation.  I went into this class having 4H meat judging experience but was going straight into a 200 level course.  Normally you start with a 100 and then work your way up, not me!  I knew the professor from my 4H days and have learned meats under him but having him as a professor and just sitting through an optional instructional to pass the time before a contest were two different things.  But its AG, we are all family.  So here I am 6 weeks later, I have declared a minor in food science technology and am in love with meat and the meat industry.  So back to what the article title is about..the red stuff in meat is NOT BLOOD, IT IS PURGE.  It is a combination of water and meat proteins.  Meat is 75% water and one of the proteins in the PURGE is a water-soluble myoglobin hence the red water!  The stuff on the bottom of your plate (if you eat it medium rare) or the package is just broken apart beef proteins.  

 My favorite part of being on the Ag campus is learning new things I can share with y'all, much more to come.  

Comments

Popular Posts